Go for a walk...
There are four walking trails in Port Broughton: PBAS Walk of Remembrance, Walk around Broughton, Encounter Walking Trail, and Broughton to Fisherman's Bay Walk.
The history of Port Broughton is revealed as you walk around this small town. Along the way you will see historic landmarks such as where the Old Station was (1885), the original Council Chambers (1895), the restored Cottage (1898) and the various churches (1885 to 1902). You can also walk the jetty and follow the foreshore to the boat ramp and via John Lewis Drive to the Bayside Caravan Park.
Printed leaflets are available for each walk, which all feature interpretive signs along the way.
Port Broughton Area School Walk of Remembrance
This is a 1 km long timeline, which winds its way through scrub-land adjacent to the school and Community Library. This trail was researched, designed and built by a core group of students and staff.
Every year from 1899 to 2001 is represented by a metal sign with a short summery of the most significant events of that year.
All major wars that Australia participated in, from the Boer War through to Afghanistan are each commemorated with a large stone wall and an information board explaining the conflict.
Community members and visitors are welcome to visit this facility. It is open every day of the year and its free to visit.
Seating has been provided at regular intervals.
Wheelchair and pram access is available from the top of the hill near the entrance gate to the school.
Port Broughton Historical Walk
1. Begin by reading the history of Port Broughton st the Heritage Signboards situated on the foreshore just south of the jetty.
2. Look left to the original Jetty Piles. Captain Henry Dale, the founder of Port Broughton used this for his private landing c 1871. It was a natural channel known then as Cat Fish Creek
3. The War Memorial carved from Angaston Marble was erected in 1920 and the anchor was positioned in 1971 and dedicated to the Pioneers of the District 1871 - 1971
4. Walk the Jetty. This was built in 1878 at a cost of 3,715 pounds. The channel was first dredged in 1877 then re-dredged to a width of 60 feet and a depth of 8 feet in 1907. In 1911 it was deepened to 10 feet to enable ketchers to navigate safely. if was used for the delivery of supplies to the town and transportation of outgoing wheat cargo. You will notice the crab boats moored at the end of the jetty when not out fishing.
5. Walk north along the foreshore past the Probus Memorial Garden which was started in 1997. Turn left at the end of the street and walk towards the Boat Ramp, completed in 2004. Locate and read the "Early Industry" sign.
6. Walk way up North Terrace past the Golf Course and turn right into Harvey Street. Situated on the south east corner of Harvey and James Street is the marker for the Original District Hospital.
In the early years the town was handicapped by the lack of hospital facilities. Dr Brady was the first doctor appointed in 1909 and after a few years Nurse Thomas who was a Certified Midwife was put in charge of patients in Dr Brady's own home.
When Dr Mathwin was appointed in 1914 Mr Goodridge and thirty local people formed a company to start the hospital. The property was purchased and Nurse Thomas ran the establishment as a private hospital for many years. Later the hospital was owned and managed by the District Council until 1927 when a Hospital Board was formed. The building then became a privately owned residency when the new hospital opened in Bay Street in 1975.
7. Continue along Harvey Street to the Original District Council Office opened in 1895. Read the "Town Administration" sign.
Directly opposite is the 'new' Police Station built in two stages from 1928. Policing was originally undertaken from Clare, but in 1857 Foot Constable James Murphy was posted to Port Broughton and from 1888 Mounted Constable T.Kerin took over and the existing office became a residence. To the rear of the site stone and brick cell blocks are evident.
The Police Station was also a courthouse until 1984 when such matters were delt with at Kadina or Port Pirie, Today the Police Station is incorporated into the District Council building
8. Continue to he corner of Bay and Harvey Streets and you are now at the District Council of Barunga West. Turn left and walk east past the Railway Station. Read the Sign "Station without a Train".
9. Continue to walk up Bay street to the Motel on the corner. Cross the road towards the Skate Park and then cross again towards the Port Broughton Hospital. Read "The Wheat Stacks" sign.
The Bowls Club, Area School and Public Library are situated further down this street.
10. Cross the road and walk back towards the Jetty, Read the "Coffee Palace" sign located just before the butcher.
11. Continue down Bay Street and read about the "Flour Mill and Power House" just before the Deli then turn left at the corner
12. Stroll up the hill and cross the road to the Heritage Center. Read the "Early Education" sign.
13. Diagonally across from the Heritage Center is a marker for the beautifully restored Cottage c 1898. The cottage was built for Mr. Humphrey Mildren who ran a blacksmith forge next door where the Hardware shop now stands. Notice the original cellar on the lawns. this is a privately owned residence.
14. Walk down Edmund street towards the foreshore. At the corner of Edmund Street and West Terrace looking North was the site of Captain Dale's first Humpy and later a shop which he ran with his son. Most supplies came over from Clare. Captain Dale had purchased several allotments of land prior to his arrival. Almost opposite, notice the bronze plaque under a North folk Island Pine tree. This tree was planted by Captain Dales's Daughter, Mrs Isadore Dale Robertson on 12 October 1971 during Port Broughton's Centenary Celebrations.
15. Continue to wander along the foreshore to the Port Broughton Hotel, Read the "Port Broughton Hotel" Sign near the veranda. Finish your walk here.